A change of heart

I’m very sensitive to the cold, as people who know me will attest, so all week I have been thinking of what comforting autumnal pudding I would cook this weekend to warm me up. I toyed with apple crumble. However, despite what I said last week, I plumped for rice pudding.

For the past 18 years, I have hated rice pudding with a passion; the very thought of it made me feel sick. However it wasn’t always like this – there was a time when the thought of my mum’s rice pudding was enough to make me very happy. But then I had it at school and it all changed. It was horrible and ever since then I have been unable to bring myself to eat it (apart from one occasion about a year ago, when I tried a ready-made one – not the best one to try and turn me).

Then, this week rice pudding came out of the test kitchen at work; I decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a go. I wasn’t expecting to like – but it was amazing. I kept sticking my spoon back in, wanting more. It was rich, creamy and comforting – just as it was when I ate my mum’s rice pudding all those years ago.

There are many food-related perks for working for a food magazine, but the best thing has been discovering that I now enjoy foods that I once hated. Beetroot is another example; all I had were the memories of the pickled stuff, but when a beetroot risotto came out (with broad beans – another thing I disliked), I devoured it and went back for seconds. B. couldn’t believe it when I told him. Raspberries too; while I still don’t like them by themselves, I will happily work my way through any dessert that includes them – also to B.’s delight.

So, after this latest taste revelation, I had to make my own rice pudding – I also thought it fair to end B.’s rice pudding drought. And after being inspired by the latest episode of River Cottage Every Day where Hugh made apple compote, I decided to make my own to accompany the pudding. My favourite desserts are apple-based, so I thought it only fitting to combine a new sweet love with an old one.

Since I had never cooked rice pudding before, I consulted a few recipes, including one of Hugh’s and, of course, Delia, before coming up with my own. Although it took a while to cook, it was worth the wait, and the slightly tart apple compote perfectly complemented the rich, sweet rice pudding. Just the thing for a cold autumn evening – a treat I would have missed out on if I had not had a complete change of heart. I’m so glad I did.

Rice pudding with apple cinnamon compote

Serves 6 with compote left over

600ml milk
170g tin evaporated milk
240ml double cream
1 vanilla pod
Lots of freshly grated nutmeg
50g golden caster sugar
100g pudding rice
Pinch of salt

For the compote
800g Bramley apples, well peeled
3-4 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2. Heat the milk, evaporated milk and double cream with the scraped vanilla and pod over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until it is hot but not quite boiling. Remove the vanilla pod and discard.
2. Add the caster sugar, a good grating of nutmeg and the salt. Stir well, then add the rice. Heat for a couple of minutes over a medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, butter a 23cm diameter oven dish. Pour the milky rice mixture into the dish, cover with foil and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, give the mixture a good stir and put back in the oven, covered with foil, for another 30 minutes. Stir again and return to the oven, uncovered, for 1¼-1½ hours until the rice is creamy and tender, but the pudding is not too dry.
5. Meanwhile, make the compote.  Finely slice the apples (I used a vegetable peeler to make it easier and quicker.) Put the sliced apples into a saucepan over a low heat with 2 tbsp water and 1 tbsp of the sugar. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. When the apples have cooked down to become a smooth puree, add the sugar and the cinnamon. Taste and add more sugar if needed. Stir well and set aside.
7. Serve the rice pudding with a dollop of compote. The remaining compote can be kept in the fridge for a week or so.

About these ads

18 Responses to “A change of heart”

1. 1 Maunika October 18, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Apple cinammon compote with rice pudding. God I’m drooling over the photos. Could do with some right now! So right for this time of the year.

2. 2 tiina { sparkling ink } October 18, 2010 at 1:45 pm

These flavors make me think about my childhood. We often baked rice pudding and had it with cinnamon sugar. The compote sounds so yummy!

3. 3 GourmetMummy(Susan) October 18, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Love Rice Pudding!! I don’t think my children would be happy with apple compote though…..it’s strawberry jam or nothing for them! Though I personally will be trying it, yum!

4. 4 Sharon October 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Thank you, ladies, for the lovely comments. Now trying to decide what to do with the rest of the compote!

5. 5 buy super beta prostate May 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

6. 6 cheap electronic cigarette starter kit June 27, 2013 at 10:39 am

The researchers then measured their airway resistance using a number of tests, including
    a spirometry test. Whenever you are trying a new
    product 90% of the time there is always some
    kind of concern. Their e-cig equipment are lacking in depth
    directions, safety tips and threat notifications.

7. 7 Vapor juice July 14, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Fastidious respond in return of this query with genuine arguments and explaining everything concerning that.

8. 8 best selling book on premature ejaculation July 17, 2013 at 11:04 pm

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am actually happy to

9. 9 Stephan November 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button!
    I’d certainly donate to this outstanding blog!
    I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

10. 10 Gaye November 9, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Hey there! Quick question that’s totally off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My web site looks weird when viewing from my
    iphone 4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem.
    If you have any recommendations, please share. Thanks!

11. 11 using a drip tip for e cig December 10, 2013 at 7:30 am

Shop with us for your e cig vaporizer accessories, check out the many options we have available for your product. You can find the best ejuice in our online shop and we are considered a premium ejuice retailer.When buying E-cigarettes and Dry Tobacco Vaporizers people always need accessories for their products. We carry everything from exclusive cases, lanyards for e cigs, needle nose droppers, glass screens, and more. Needle nose drippers work when filling your ejuice tanks. Its the easy way to keep things clean when filling your tank. Many people today who use conventional cigarettes already see the advantages that come with switching to e cig vaporizer models. We offer many drip tips and drip gaurds for e cig vaporizers. Check out the drip gaurd e cig reviews on the internet or on our site. Once in awhile your usb plug adapter or battery charger cables and connectors go bad. We have the perfect replacement for your product. If you already have all of the accessories which you need, try investing in our basic E-Boge or E-Vape vaporizer kit. We also carry New York Vape’s e cig batteries cheap as well as our e cig batteries interchangeable. Use our dual coil cartomizers triple hole technology with your ejuice tank that allow you to vape our home brewed E-juices. Our many Ejuice flavors makes us a premium ejuice retailer. We look forward to serving you with excellent customer service now and in the future.

12. 12 50 Shades Freed Free Pdf January 1, 2014 at 9:02 am

Remarkable details, if you wish a free electronic version of the current novels, satisfy go to this web site.

13. 13 complimentary fit dieting recipes January 2, 2014 at 8:11 pm

In a nutshell, the Paleo Diet is a way of eating like our hunter-gatherer ancestors: lean meats, seafood, vegetables,
    fruits, and nuts. It’s pretty easy to understand that cereal grains, refined sugars,
    and processed foods that wouldn’t have existed during the Paleolithic era are not included on
    this diet. You exist in the modern world and have your own tastes, so
    what’s the point in going back to a Stone Age
    diet.

14. 14 home January 3, 2014 at 10:45 am

Remarkable info, if you wish a complimentary electronic variation of the most up to date books, satisfy go to this website.

15. 15 source February 18, 2014 at 3:33 am

I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write more articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more articles about it!|

16. 16 Mobile Safety Certificate Gold Coast March 19, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Fantastic overcom! I will beginner as you fix your internet site, how do i sign up for just a web site website? The actual profile forced me to be any proper option. I ended up being a bit familiar of your your current sent out made available vibrant clear thought

17. 17 cheapest blu cigarettes May 11, 2014 at 9:50 am

They are not as wasteful as traditional cigarettes as you can use the device over and over and replace cartridges only as needed.
    Real cigarettes, at $7 a pack (and up) cost 30 cents and up per smoke, so the electronic cigarette lets you
    smoke for half the price. On a can of Fix-a-Flat: Not to
    be used for breast augmentation.

18. 18 sell your jewelry in phoenix az June 25, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Awesome blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed here?

I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Bless you!