Goodbye winter, hello spring

Spring is finally here, and I’m back blogging. I don’t deal very well with winter, so decided to take a break from this little corner of the web; I wasn’t feeling very inspired and B. ended up cooking for most of the season. But now I am back and full of ideas – and, most importantly, feeling excited about food again.

When produce that has been absent for so many months comes back into season, it really does feel like I’m welcoming back old friends. I was so happy to get hold of some purple sprouting broccoli (finally!) and wild garlic this week – two signs that spring has finally sprung.

I had great plans to experiment with PSB this year, but because the season is so short, when it came down to it I had to have purple sprouting broccoli with cream (courtesy of Nigel Slater). Possibly my favourite dish ever, I have now had it three times in two weeks!

As well as having a fantastic mild garlic aroma, ramsons (as wild garlic is also known) adds great colour and vibrancy to many dishes, including soups, omelettes and salads.

After last year’s risotto, I decided to try something new with my wild garlic, even if it was still on the Italian theme. Pesto is so simple and seems to be a popular way to use up wild garlic, so I decided to give it a go myself and branch out from the classic basil variety I usually knock up.

I warn you now, this stuff is potent – you and your house will smell of garlic but it is totally worth it. I added some basil leaves to temper the flavour, and used a grassy tasting good-quality olive oil.

The resulting pesto was, as you would expect, very garlicky, and had quite a kick to it. I stirred it into gnocchi and these little potato dumplings were the perfect partner, adding substance while allowing the wild garlic flavours to sing. I found this pesto to be a fantastic alternative to basil, plus I didn’t get the usual indigestion I have following a particularly garlicky meal – bonus!

There was enough pesto leftover to turn into a fish stuffing the following day. To bulk it out I added a bunch of fresh parsley and coriander, capers and a couple of anchovy fillets to turn it into a pesto/salsa verde filling for mackerel. The flavours were a perfect foil for the oily fish; it was a fantastic spring lunch served with potato salad and fresh bread rolls.

All in all, this is a fantastic, simple sauce that heralds the arrival of a new season. Goodbye winter, hello spring!

Wild garlic pesto
90g wild garlic leaves, washed and roughly chopped
2 big handfuls of basil leaves
20g pine nuts, toasted
65g Parmesan, grated
Extra-virgin olive oil

1. Pound the wild garlic leaves and basil in a pestle and mortar (or in a food processor). Add the pine nuts, Parmesan and continue to pound/process.
2. Pour in enough olive oil to make a fairly loose consistency but not completely runny and season with sea salt and black pepper.

About these ads

11 Responses to “Goodbye winter, hello spring”

1. 1 helen April 4, 2011 at 7:25 am

I LOVE pesto and have often thought of making my own, but assumed it would be too daunting! Will give this a try at the weekend. Thanks!

2. 2 Sarah April 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm

PSB with hollandaise and a poached egg makes a good starter or light lunch. I haven’t found any without really tough, woody stems this year though.

3. 3 Shu Han February 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm

that sounds fab! I know this post was from way back last year, but I missed the wild garlic season then, so am looking forward to grabbing them this year. the pesto sounds like a great idea, esp love the mackerel dish.

4. 4 peppercoin.com May 14, 2013 at 11:23 am

Litigation aside, there are a lot of confidence behind the steering wheel from
    being turned. Fitting a few basic security devices to your vehicle
    when you are looking to purchase car insurance 50 a month,
    shopping around for online car insurance 50 a month quotes is online insurance information sites.
    Few people relish the process of purchasing the car insurance started, like no insurance has ever taken place.

5. 5 Homeware July 16, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Hi there! I understand this is sort of off-topic
    however I had to ask. Does building a well-established website like yours take
    a massive amount work? I’m completely new to running a blog but I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog
    so I can easily share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for
    new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

6. 6 How to get bigger Muscles September 21, 2013 at 11:17 am

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it
    helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

7. 7 Cocoa Beach January 29, 2014 at 9:52 pm

See why Vacation Rentals are the better way to visit Cape Canaveral

8. 8 telecharger minecraft cracker April 17, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Appreciate this post. Will try itt out.

9. 9 Cuisine de Bourgogne de A à Z pdf May 9, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog
    site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this
    your broadcast provided bright clear idea

10. 10 lowest mortgage rates uk June 19, 2014 at 7:37 am

Hi to every one, it’s actually a pleasant for me to pay
    a quick visit this website, it consists of useful
    Information.

11. 11 credit card July 18, 2014 at 9:32 am

If some one needs expert view on the tpic of running a blog then i recommend him/her to go
    to see this webb site, Keep up the nice job.